Idlewyld Manor Family Council Meeting
Date: Tuesday, July 12, 2022
Time: 6:30 pm
Location: Memorial Garden
PRESENT: Cindy Allen, Barb Vacon, Mary Newman, Ann Bennett, Bruce Hamilton, Clarke Miller, Elaine Armstrong, Jack Graham, Margaret Figliola, Rose Linton, Randy Allen, Sophie Sporbeck
CALL TO ORDER: 6:31 pm
- GUEST SPEAKERS:
Brad McCulloch, Recreation/Volunteer Manager
- Volunteers are actively being recruited. COVID continues to be an issue when recruiting new volunteers. All volunteers require COVID vaccines, a Flu shot, TB testing, VSPC and Surge learning. A meeting will be held with the Thrive group to discuss ideas such as a Volunteer Fair. Recent requests for volunteers did not render much response.
- A Mother Parker coffee maker has been purchased for the Café. It is expected to arrive sometime in August. The machine will dispense cream and sugar. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate will be sold for $1.50 a cup.
- Spa updates and outdoor furniture will be started/purchased with funds raised through Moving to Make it Happen.
- Brad also advised, when asked, there were challenges with EFC opening the gate to allow access to Sanatorium Avenue. The key is available from reception (it can be found on the bulletin board on a lanyard). The possibility of purchasing/installing a two-way lock is being investigated.
- Brad introduced Trudy Kastrau, the new Resident Council President. Judy resides in Oakwood and has been at Idlewyld Manor for one year.
Cathy Luke, Director of Nursing
- Cathy spoke about changes being worked on for the Long-Term Care Homes Act. Idlewyld Manor will be working to implement all changes.
- Information can be found here:
- Cathy also spoke about M.A.I.D. – Medical Assistance in Dying. Cathy supports the M.A.I.D. program and will respect all Residents wishes in this regard.
- Further information is available here:
- Cathy discussed the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario. Policies set out by the RNAO will be implemented at IM. These include, but are not limited to, guidelines around Recreation, Nursing, Communications, and Palliative Care.
- ADOPTION OF AGENDA:
Motion moved by: Bruce
Seconded by: Sophie
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
Motion moved by: Jack
Seconded by: Rose
- CHAIR’S REMARKS:
5.1 The Café opening was very successful and well attended.
5.2 Update on Doctors: Dr. Chen will oversee Rose Garden and Orchard View and Dr. Grafham will oversee the other home areas.
5.3 Dental Care in Motion will attend the August meeting
5.4 Speakers for fall meetings: Denturist (Beth to research)
- 6. ONGOING BUSINESS:
6.1 Entertainment for July – Vili V – is scheduled to appear in the parking lot on July 22 at 2:00 pm. FC is funding the cost of $169.60.
6.2 August Peach and Strawberry ice cream social: Sunday, August 14 at 2:00 pm. Volunteers needed. Please arrive by 1:00 pm to allow time for COVID testing.
6.3 Recruitment of new Family Council Members: Barb, Beth, Clarke and Nan met with Nicole and plans are being finalized. More information will be available at a future meeting.
6.4 Purchase of art supplies: Barb reported Todd accepted the supplies on behalf of Recreation and was very appreciative.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- It was suggested the Council consider cancelling July & August meetings in the future. In reply, the suggestion was made we revisit this in the Spring of 2023. It was felt summer meetings are important for Fall planning.
- Barb to contact Matt Ingram to inquire about obtaining a copy of the full recording of Your Road Ahead. The televised version is available here: Your Road Ahead: How we’re going to live with COVID-19 (chch.com)
8.1 Treasurer’s Report: A $100.00 donation was deposited and $300.00 withdrawn for the craft supplies for Recreation and for the August entertainer.
Cash on hand: $415.34 Bank Balance: $2638.65 Total Funds: $3053.99
8.2 50/50 Draw: $65.00 was collected. Jack won the draw and donated ½ of the winnings ($32.50) to the Garden Fun and ½ to Family Council.
- ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 8:17 pm
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2022 – 6:30 pm
Place: Memorial Garden (weather permitting)